Being honest here, who of you have actually been proactive?
I know I have not been.
What is
“proactive”? Well, proactivity means “taking initiative” at its most basic
form. But Stephen Covey takes it another step in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. He states that being
proactive means taking responsibility for our own lives and taking an active
role in their situations. To be proactive you need to be self-aware, be
reactive to our surroundings, and consider conscience. But the most important
factor is to recognize when we can influence our lives. In situations where we
do not have control, like when a teacher is in charge or social customs must be
followed, we have little control. But in other circumstances we must take
charge of our lives.
This
may seems difficult, and may even change your answer to the question that I
first asked. But we can all take steps to be more proactive in our daily lives.
In my mentorship, I can be more inquisitive and learn everything that I can to
ensure that I am gaining the most from my experiences. While I must respect my
mentor and my working environment, I can do what is most beneficial to me, and
work with my mentor to tailor my schedule and experience. In my daily life, I can
take responsibility for my school work and my involvement in clubs and sports.
I can take charge of my life.
So reader, are you proactive? Or will you join me in taking
the first step of being more proactive today?
Joanne



0 comments:
Post a Comment