September 28, 2013

Principia

Who are you?
                This is a question that constantly changes as you move from one environment to another, and even when you move from one mood to another. But what defines who you are can be quantized into roles, or positions you play in your life. This can include mother, father, child, teacher, or mentor. For me, the most important roles that I play are daughter, sister, student, friend, applicant, and mentee.
                I am very happy with the roles that I play as a daughter, sister, friend, and mentee because I feel that I manage them very well. I make sure to dedicate my time to each and cherish my memories in each. However, I struggle with student and applicant. School is incredibly difficult and time-consuming, and applying to college in overwhelming. Each step that is taken to succeed in each of these places great strain on my attention to my other roles. But I manage.
                And I manage through the use of my “Personal Principles”. As Stephen Covey states in his book, principles are basically truths and centers that a person places importance on, and organizes their life around.
My Principles:
  1. Be kind and generous to others.
  2. Always value time with your family.
  3. Never feel pressured to do something.
  4. Value your body and how you treat yourself.
  5. Mental and Physical Health are interdependent.
  6. Find security in your family and friends.
  7. Be free to be yourself. *Remember, other people are concerned about themselves, not worrying about you.*

I created these principles based on how I was raised, how I learned from my environment, and I how I feel moral people should act. My principles stem from religion, philosophy, and parent teachings, but they can really come from anywhere. Comment what your principles are, I’d love to see what you come up with!

Joanne 

0 comments:

Post a Comment