I have greatly enjoyed my experience at my mentorship so far and that mostly stems from the interpersonal relationships that I have developed with my mentors and “co-workers.”
Throughout the office, every employee I have come across is not only kind and caring, but are also incredibly enthusiastic to teach me and share their expertise with me. For a student seeking to learn, this is the perfect environment to grow. The “culture” within my mentorship is one of compassion, good-natured banter, and genuine care. It is truly the “ideal employer” for their understanding and patience for their employees and co-workers.
In addition to this, the organization that I mentor with is strongly rooted in their community. Not only do they care for their community members, but they take the time to truly get to know them. The doctors and technicians greet the patients, ask them about their families, and whether they’ll be at church that Sunday; the extent to which they are involved with their patients is inspiring. Also, I can recall numerous occurrences when a patient would try to recall a certain diabetes specialist who referred them, and the doctor would list numerous individuals until they inevitably name the correct one. I believe that this is merely and indicator of how involved they are with both their local community and the medical community.
Finally, as a mentorship, my organization is superb. They are eager to teach me and allow me to see and experience a variety of medical procedures. But what I also see is that the concept of “mentorship” is prevalent outside of my own experiences. I see a weathered optometrist offer advice to the trainee. I see a technology expert help out the surgeon with the laser cataract tools. I see a technician showing a receptionist how to properly organize a procedure chart.
I am inspired by my mentorship to not only delve deeper into medicine, but also give back to my community, my peers, and those who may look up to me.



0 comments:
Post a Comment