Working in a mentorship means that you are faced with the real job-force everyday, not a controlled environment like school. But I find this inspiring as well, a foreseeable result of my hard work and long years of education.
I work with a variety of people, at various stages of education, at various levels of training, but all related to the same field: eyes. I most commonly shadow optometrists, but what I truly aspire to become is an ophthalmologist. While optometrists do the traditional four years of undergraduate, followed by four years of optometry school, ophthalmology is more intensive. Four years of undergraduate, followed by four years of medical school, and then more years of fellowship if you so desire. But I think the result, the ability to help people and benefit humanity, is worth the hardships.
In my workplace, though, I find that all of the employees and doctors work together seamlessly. The technicians do the simple labors, the optometrists perform refractions, and the ophthalmologists perform laser procedures and surgeries. I find that each group is set aside work that matches their training, but blend seamlessly to create an environment that best suits the patient. I personally enjoy the work that deals with the patients in-person, that doctor-patient relationship is invaluable in the practice of medicine.
My mentorship has not only pushed me to evaluate my future, but also appreciate the little things, like a genial handshake or genuine concern.
I work with a variety of people, at various stages of education, at various levels of training, but all related to the same field: eyes. I most commonly shadow optometrists, but what I truly aspire to become is an ophthalmologist. While optometrists do the traditional four years of undergraduate, followed by four years of optometry school, ophthalmology is more intensive. Four years of undergraduate, followed by four years of medical school, and then more years of fellowship if you so desire. But I think the result, the ability to help people and benefit humanity, is worth the hardships.
In my workplace, though, I find that all of the employees and doctors work together seamlessly. The technicians do the simple labors, the optometrists perform refractions, and the ophthalmologists perform laser procedures and surgeries. I find that each group is set aside work that matches their training, but blend seamlessly to create an environment that best suits the patient. I personally enjoy the work that deals with the patients in-person, that doctor-patient relationship is invaluable in the practice of medicine.
My mentorship has not only pushed me to evaluate my future, but also appreciate the little things, like a genial handshake or genuine concern.
What do you like most about visiting the doctor?
Joanne



0 comments:
Post a Comment